Wednesday, September 29, 2010

4 miles in flips

I'm so not a horn tooter, I never have been. For those of you that really know me, know that I'm super critical of myself and rarely allow myself pats or praise. I'm totally fine with it, its how I grew up and its really all I know. I've been wanting to post this story but super nervous its going to come off like I'm tootin. The truth is I have a terrible memory and I'm afraid I will some day forget this cherished memory so I figure I will just post it..for me..to remember.

I grew up in a family of seven kids, five girls two boys. I LOVED/LOVE having a large family (I was hoping I'd give my kids that same awesomeness, not happening kids...sorry!). I have one older brother and one younger brother. I was close with my younger brother because it was just us and he was my buddy in the house (even though he would regularly beat me up..oh the love). I wasn't so close with my older brother, 6 plus years difference makes it a little hard to keep close.

When I went to college I had the opportunity to work for the family company that he also happened to work for....long story short I ended up working really closely with my brother, he became my hero. I totally looked up to him.

(Sorry I know this is a long story of history but it lets you in on why this particular moment was/is so special to me).

I have a great respect for him, he is amazing, strong, dedicated, successful, extremely likable, and an all around incredible guy. I've always wanted to feel a strong bond between us but it never seems to come. One day a few weeks ago I felt a little of what I've always hoped for.

He's never been a runner but decided to hop on the crazy train of (been on less then a year now) running and has since completed 2 marathons and will complete another one this Saturday. Two Saturday's ago was the TOU marathon which normally runs right by our house(super sad it no longer does, silly neighbors). Earlier that morning I served up some killer Plyo Shawn T style. I slipped on my flips and wobbled over to the street where the runners would pass by.

My bro was supposed to run it but because of an injury he told everyone he couldn't do it. I had maybe been there 5 min cheering when I heard my man friend yelling his name! What!! He wasn't supposed to run. I usually put my running shoes on when I know someone that is going to run it so I can run beside them and give them a little boost on the last few miles. I quickly dropped my delicious shake and ran over to him. He was struggling and I could tell he needed some pick me up goodness. I only thought I would run with him for a block or so but he asked me to stay with him, so I did.

I ran the last 4 miles in flip flops. My feet were rubbed raw and covered in blisters but I wouldn't take that moment back for anything. I tried talking the whole way and pushed him to not stop. He got super frustrated with me but I just kept pushing. At that moment I can't explain how proud I was of him, how much more love I felt for him. When we rounded the last block chills covered my whole body and looked over at him with tears in my eyes, he rocked it! He pushed through serious pain and ended up shaving 15 min off his last marathon time.

He powered across the finish line, we hugged. It was an amazing moment even with blood dripping between my toes I wouldn't take it back and will cherish that time with him forever. For those brief moments I felt a love and bond that I've always hoped for. Thanks big brother, for needing me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that is a sweet story. It made me cry! The things we will do for our siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ashley, makes me cry every time as well! I appreciate your kind words. I have a tough time sharing feelings so some of my posts I really struggle to actually post and then I read them a billion times and question myself a billion times of I should delete it or not. So thank you, it means a lot :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw MC, your tender posts are so precious. I too am all teared up. Thanks for sharing your love of family, Im glad your siblings have you to help them in the many ways that you do, lucky ladies and fellas.

    ReplyDelete